A minute after I published the last post, the phone rang. Steve was on his way to a side job, and I was rather impatiently waiting until he could call to share the results on the bidding. It was him! “Mary called….” and then the phone cut off! Unreal! I thought he must have been in a bad service area and called him back…..three times, but his phone went to voice mail each time! I kept trying for awhile, but finally concluded he must have a dead battery, and [somewhat] resigned to waiting. I called my friend Jordan because I knew she’d understand how anxiously I was waiting. She asked, “Well, did he sound excited or disappointed?” but with someone as calm as Steve…his voice would sound identical for both! Hour after hour went by, and I concluded I’d have to wait until he got home–which would be late. Close to 11:00 he finally got home….and we were the highest bidders! So exciting!!!!
So as soon as all the contracts are finalized we can get an inspection done then make our final decision. Our realtor said her style is to nab a house if you like it, ask for a few days to make a final decision (can’t remember the term), then at least you have it. “When I see a sweater that strikes me, I snatch it up and buy it. After I get home, I look at it and decide…do I really want to keep this or not?” I related quite well to that concept. :)
That’s where we are. The biggest issues that we can see are being within a block of a train crossing where it blares its whistle. The train goes through definitely seven times and probably more per 24 hour day. I think we would probably adjust to it, but that is an issue to consider (including resale value). There were also two places with moldy walls due to a water leak. Hopefully whatever caused the leak is not too expensive to repair, and there aren’t any major problems that we missed. If it all checks out, we’ll be getting measurements and supplies before we know it.
Very, very exciting!